Friday, April 12, 2013

The Hummingbirds are Back

We are at our lot at Lake Arbuckle and the hummingbirds are feeding today.  They are so much fun to watch.  I have learned that if you only have a few you should place a few feeders around the lot as they are territorial.  Any boy are they!  I have watched them fend off the other birds when feeding  very vigorously.  If you have several hummingbirds, such as 10 or more, they cannot be territorial so you are to place a few feeders close together for them.  We typically have 4-5 so I have three feeders out and our neighbors have one as well.  I remember the first time I realized we had hummingbirds.  We had our lot for several years and never saw any.  One day a few years ago I was working on the deck and I heard what sounded like a sci-fi sized bug buzz by me and scared me to death.  I searched and searched for this enormous thing, whatever it was, and low and behold here comes a hummingbird.  Off to Walmart I rushed for a feeder and have had them ever since.  

Today we were at the nursery looking for some things and came across a nice water fountain we thought would be nice on our deck.  While checking it out we were told they had another one for half price that worked just fine but had a small crack in the structure so water leaked out.  Well that was an easy fix - clear silicone.  It works great in the corner of our deck so now all I need is some artificial greenery around it.  What a soothing sound.  The large piece of driftwood is something my mother got when I was a small child in northern Minnesota.  We traveled to this lodge for many many years while I was growing up and I remember having to haul this thing home.  The only place it would fit was in our boat.  My mother had it in her various homes until she moved to a retirement center late in life at which time she gave it to me.  Although it doesn't have the brown shiny coat on it anymore that she had while it was inside it continue to give me many fond memories. 


Just a few other pics I thought you might enjoy.  Bailey is such a good model.  Here she is with the squirrel next to our fountain and driftwood.  Isn't she adorable?

 
 
After a long and hard day (yeh right) John and April are taking a nap in the hammock.  John was flying his RC helicopter today and the wind took it and dropped it in a very tall tree.  Yep and now we have to figure out how to get it out.  We happen to have long handled items to was the RV and the windows so we taped them together to form a really long pole.  So with me holding the ladder and John sticking that pole way up into the tree we successfully retrieved the helpicopter.  Thank goodness - they are not cheap!
 It has been such a great day.  Sunshine and cool temps.  Not even any bugs.  We have our door on the RV open and the sweet tinkling of the new spinner wind chime is ringing sweetly in the wind.   

1 comment:

  1. That squirrel doesn't look real, never-the-less Bailey is being a sweetheart. She is a good model. John sure does look comfy all snugged up with April, just as it should be. Glad you got the helicopter out of the tree. You can have a lot of fun with those. Great picture of the hummingbird. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete